Director Dru Brown: The Suicide Theory. ARTICLE/INTERVIEW.

I recently had an interview with great director Dru Brown on his latest feature; The Suicide Theory, written by Michael J. Kospiah. This was exciting for me, after watching the trailer, I was entertained and intrigued and I just wanted to know more! This wish was granted after Dru accepted my offer for an interview, I could’ve written about the feature myself with little knowledge, but I wanted to do the feature justice and who better to do that than the man who helped the feature grow from the word ACTION!

The Suicide Theory is a neo noir drama that chronicles the friendship between two troubled men who form a strange friendship under dark circumstances – a heartbroken man Percival (Leon Cain) mysteriously unable to successfully commit suicide hires a hitman Steven (Steve Mouzakis) to help him finish the job. The Mystery deepens when Percival survives the Hitman's best efforts”.

I LOVE this idea that Michael came up with and the image Dru gave it, but with it being such a strange and slightly morbid story whose this for, audience wise, what outside audience would chance and accept it? “The film has a lot of heart, and in a really unconventional way. I think anyone that likes dark gritty films from the 70's or stuff by Scorsese, Mann, Fincher and Andrew Dominik would get a kick out of The Suicide Theory”. All great names in film; with mentioning such legends where is inspiration towards this feature pinned? Well, Dru told me; “I read the script and was really inspired by the writing. Michael J Kospiah painted this dark seedy world with these two strange characters in it. It felt like a 70's/80's Paul Schrader film (Which I love) and the story was really well executed. I'm really inspired by that era of filmmaking and I think I used a lot of that influence in the making of this film. There are also elements of David Fincher and Michael Mann in the "look" of the film”.

As Dru here is the director his story was already given to him, it was up to him to give it life, so here’s a little about Dru’s time on set: “We had a great team, we shot for 20 days in Brisbane (My hometown) and a city just down the road called The Gold Coast (in Australia). We had Steve come from interstate but the rest of the team were locals. We had a great time shooting it”.

With the feature now completed, what’s the next step for The Suicide Theory? We are currently submitting to festivals, hopefully some are nice enough to screen it and people get to see how great Leon and Steve are delivering Mike's words”.


This feature and it’s concept is new and even affecting, the trailer alone will put you on the edge of your seat in an almost comfortable way. You can watch the trailer and a clip from The Suicide Theory online to satisfy your taste, but for now we have to wait for festivals to give us the chance to see this surely unforgettable feature.

VF.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inhumane: Welcome Back to The Female Werewolf!

Saving The Outsiders House: Danny O'Connor.

A Love Letter to Call Me By Your Name.