Hemlock Grove: Season One Review.

Cast: Landon Liboiron, Bill Skarsgard, Famke Janssen, Lili Taylor.
Directed by: Eli Roth.
Based on: 'Hemlock Grove' by Brian McGreevy.

Hemlock Grove (2013) is a supernatural series adpated from Brian McGreevy's book of the same name. It follows Peter Rumancek (Landon) a gypsy werewolf and Roman Godfrey (Bill Skarsgard) the prince of Hemlock with a secret even he doesn't know he has, through friendship, teenage struggles and a trail of mutilated young girls.

Now I'll be honest, I am a fan of the show but I will try my bets to contain my fangirling compliments!

Its difficult to bring a supernatural series into our entertainment these days, especially one based on werewolves and vampire like creatures, due to us having Twilight, The Mortal Instruments and American Horror Story already, It makes it a show constantly compared to the small list above and creates debates between 'who does it better?' and 'who is the hottest werewolf?'. However this being said, I still find Hemlock rather successful, it has originality in it but the originality lies within perceiving the human as the true monster.

Also I enjoy the fact that this adaptation is an almost word for word projection of the book.

The acting in this series can be shakey at times regarding some characters but it excels in others and I believe that after series two release in July, we will be seeing Landon's and Bill's name a lot more. Also names like Lili Taylor and Famke Janssen already have our expectations high for their portrayals and they do not disappoint, making you feel mothered and fight between your decision to love or to hate.

Having Eli Roth direct the series is brilliant to me as I am a huge fan of his work, he is a master of gore who shows use once again his impeccable directing skills. Also his touch of horror and love for blood helps bring truly brutal and sometimes shocking mutilation to the show. Genius view.

This all being said, I have found that some people find it confusing and think it has a lack of explanation, but I suppose it all depends on the viewers patience and interest. I made it all the way through and watching 10 good episodes was worth it to get to the great last 3.

I don't want to give much away so I will let you go from here and make your own decision; I will say that it's a wonderfully dark Netflix series that even if you don't enjoy it, it's still a good thing to say you've seen it!

Watch Hemlock Grove on Netflix!
Or buy the DVD out now!

SEASON TWO OUT JULY 11TH!

Tweet me what you think!


VF.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inhumane: Welcome Back to The Female Werewolf!

Saving The Outsiders House: Danny O'Connor.

A Love Letter to Call Me By Your Name.