Slightly Cynical, Supernatural & Adolescent; Brian McGreevy.

Yes, that's it Velvet fans, freak out with me! I am beyond happy to share this interview with all of you guys! Whether your a book worm or a fellow Grove-ian (Hemlock Grove Fan), you will love the words I was lucky enough to have shared with myself. Now, to stop me over rambling as per usual, here is the interview in it's original form; here are the wise words of Hemlock Grove author Brian McGreevy.


What was your inspiration for Hemlock Grove?

I wanted to use monstrosity as a means of processing my own experience of adolescence in a small, rust belt Pennsylvania town. This lens refracted both the inner state of being a teenager, which consists of  a series of extreme and often violent transformations, and the physical landscape, described in detail in the novel, of industrial ruin interacting with striking natural beauty. This sort of tension between opposite ends of a polarity, light and dark, good and evil, human and other, defines the gothic genre, a tradition I wanted to find a way to make relevant to 21st century America.

What's the experience like to see your words turn into real images on the screen?

Probably similar to how a musician feels when his or her song is covered: both deeply familiar and deeply alien. As an academic exercise it’s interesting to see what resonates with people interpreting the material and what doesn’t. Broadly speaking people sure seem to enjoy saying “shee-it.”

Is there a large difference between writing the book and writing on the show?

It’s apples and oranges. Writing prose is a completely different beast than writing dramatically. A book page is a complete aesthetic artifact, a screenplay page is glorified air traffic control. This is not to diminish the craft of screenwriting, simply to observe that it ultimately involves the input and hard work of dozens if not hundreds of others, while fiction is produced more or less in a vacuum. But I’ve gotten on my soapbox about auteur theory being complete nonsense before…


Which one of your characters would you say resembles you the most?

Dr. Pryce.

What does Hemlock Grove mean to you?

An initiation rite. The central theme of the book is metamorphosis, and the story is full of them metaphorical initiations. Also, I personally started writing this world when I was 22 (I am now 31), so this peculiar road has made me the man I am today. I guess that’s kind of weird, but I’ll take it.

I hope you liked this interview as much I did! Definitely one of my favourite writers of this time and I'm glad they bought his vision to life for all of Hemlock's audience to see.

VF.

Go watch Hemlock Grove Season 1 & 2 on Netflix Now!
Follow Brian @diegomcgreevy
Go get the book now and read it if you haven't already; 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hemlock-Grove-Author-McGreevy-published/dp/B00GX370D8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407874547&sr=8-2&keywords=hemlock+grove+book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saving The Outsiders House: Danny O'Connor.

Inhumane: Welcome Back to The Female Werewolf!

A Love Letter to Call Me By Your Name.