Michael James Dean: Actor, Writer, Understander. ARTICLE/INTERVIEW.

This piece is the start of my most latest project digging deep into the minds of filmmakers, actors, etc, to give new aspects and advice on the independent and manic industry of film. To start off this project I have had some wonderful support and commitment from fellow film lovers and makers and have been able to put these pieces together, starting with this puzzle piece.
I recently got published in Gorilla Film Magazine with a review I did on the short film Darjeeling. Darjeeling is a short film created by Posh Dinosaur Productions, starring the company director of Posh Dinosaur; Michael James Dean and I have had the privilege of interviewing him about his projects, his goals, his tips and his life.
 
Michael James Dean is an actor/writer and more, working hard, on and off camera, as well as on stage. I have chosen Michael as my first piece because of the success and beautiful work that is Darjeeling as well as the passion you grasp through his portrayals. I think that Michael can help a lot if you are following the path he chose because this interview shows modesty and honesty, he isn’t afraid to say you will mess up, you will be rejected and education isn’t everything in this industry, but you can still go far as long as you want it bad enough; How did I get to where I am now? By doing, by realising that if you want to make it in this industry you don't sit around telling everyone you’re an actor and expecting things to happen, you go out and you get the work and if it isn't there then you make it”.
(Check out Posh Dinosaur Productions YouTube channel for updates, teasers and great films, this video may be called support us, but this promo proves that it’s not them your supporting, its art, its film, it’s you; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwR_rSP7ecAp3s80HhnICGA?feature=watch)
At university my tutors/academics taught me how to read a book, the people I met at the institute they were the ones I learnt from. We formed a group of creative artists that wanted to make art and we did it. We put on shows, we wrote plays, we talked about plays, we watched films and we learnt from each other. We got it wrong, we got it wrong a lot, but we never gave up and we learnt from each mistake. You can give someone a million and one books on how to act but none of them mean a thing when the camera rolls or the lights go up. It's you that has to discover what works. And don't be fooled that because you have finished at an educational institute that your training has finished, you have to continue to train each and every day whether it is writing, work shopping or even sitting in a coffee shop and watching and listening to world. Sanford Meisner said it takes an actor 25 years to become a true actor, through experiencing the world around, experiencing life.
I have got to where I am now through meeting talented people who want to work and through the same thing we all share - passion. I have sacrificed and I have experienced, I lost my father to cancer, a cousin to suicide, I have loved, loathed (both others and myself). I have been unemployed, penniless, worked jobs I hated, been lazy, been productive, laughed and cried. I have experienced life and I know I haven't even experience a fraction of what some has but when you realise as an actor that the life you live shapes you and makes you unique your confidence will grow and you performances will to”.
 
 
 After talking about this I continued to read on with our interview and thought about how everyone has a strong point, you may be a screenwriter AND a director and good at both, but you are always slightly better at one or the other. With Michael being so passionate with the whole aspect in film I wanted to see what he thought his strong point; did he prefer writing to acting? Or the other way round?
“My first passion is acting it's what I trained in and it's the reason I am where I am today. I love the process of bringing a character to life from the pages of a script, creating that characters emotion and breathing life into the words. I am fascinated by humans and the everyday emotions and conversations we share and to be able to portray that on stage or screen is a hugely rewarding feeling. I could list the countless amount of films I have watched in which I have been moved to feel emotions I never thought I would and an actor has great power to be able to elicit that emotion in someone. On a personal level I am a very determined and ambitious individual who enjoys challenging myself and strives to be best I can be and being an actor certainly does this. But of course the driving force behind anything you do in life is because you enjoy doing it, because you love what you do”.
I was intrigued and curious with this, if such a love of acting; how and why was he also a writer? This was what he said:
“When I was younger I always wanted to be an author from as early as I can remember I was always reading books and I remember in my early teens writing several short stories. So I have always had an affinity for writing. As I grew older and watched more and more films, I began acting through a desire to play varying characters I realised if I was to write parts I could play them and challenge myself by providing my own work. As I went through university it became something that always stuck with me, so I constantly write, I love the creative process and there is something very exciting about creating a world and the characters that live in it, a blank page is frightening but only because of the sheer endless possibilities it presents”
 
Looking at Darjeeling and reading through the interview between me and Michael, I understand his passion, his originality, his drive and I find it truly amazing. I find some people in the film industry have been so successful that they just yawn and throw another movie in front of the camera, unfortunately the audience that is this generation falls for it, they accept it as lazily as some people make it; “I want to bring, new, exciting, unique, interesting stories to audiences. I want my audience to feel something, the experience something with my work. Audiences today are spoon feed, they are treated like idiots and I don't think they should be, the average film fan is smarter than the industry gives credit for. I want to make entertainment that people want to see. Audiences are sick of strictly come dancing on X factor jungle ice that's made in Essex reality tv, they want more and that's what I want to give them. I want to take them to worlds they haven't see or experienced, gives them characters they love or hate. But most of all I want them to watch my work and feel something, whether they love it or hate it”
Darjeeling is completed, done and online for all to watch and we know that Michael & Posh Dino. are consistently working hard for their love of film and to continue to entertain a true audience, so what can we expect for the future?
"I certainly know I want my projects to get bigger and better, not necessarily in length but certainly in ambition. I want to work with more and more talented individuals from various different walks of life and with various skills. I want Posh Dinosaur Productions to continue to grow and to build a strong fan base, bring in more people to provide more opportunities and new, unique, exciting projects. I want to tell stories that haven't been told, create world yet to be explored and bring to life characters that audiences haven't experienced”.
 
Having this interview with Michael is a great one to read for all film critics, filmmakers and film lovers, I say that because this man has reminded me why I love this industry and why I want to work so hard. This interview has helped me take a sigh of relief that there are successful people that still only think of passion, of emotion, of the world and the way it looks on paper and through a lens. Posh Dinosaur Productions as a whole are very welcoming and very talented; this crew are a crew to look out for because I feel they will fight to bring back what us film fanatics have been missing. The work that will be coming out will allow our generation to be more motivated to look forward in life and in film, we will be able to look to the future for the classics, not just the past.
I have enjoyed reading these wise words of man with much more ahead of him and I believe that this piece, this interview will help inspire many. Are you a lover of film? Do you want to make a film? Do you want to be more than a child with a camera? Well then here are the last few tips to help you start climbing the ladder to the top of the world; “Keep going, people in this industry are quick to judge, they will reject you based on the smallest of factors. Don't take auditions too seriously, just show them you and your work and if they like it great if not don't dwell there will be other projects, other auditions and other directors. Meet people, creatives like you that are passionate about what they do; it will constantly inspire you to keep doing what you do. Surround yourself with supportive people the worst thing is having somebody around who constantly puts you down; the industry will do that enough. Have patience if it doesn't happen straight away doesn't mean it won't, if you want to have a lazy day watching films don't beat yourself up because you aren't auditioning or working, just make sure it doesn't become a constant. Experience life, really experience it. Take the time to turn the laptop off, the TV, the phone and go for a walk sit and listen to people notice the world it will open your creativity up no end. Do, don't sit and wait for the call that will never come, you will get work when you are getting work. Believe in what you are doing even if nobody else does, people will tell you that it isn't worth doing, that you should get a real job but as long as you are confident that your work is good, that thus is what you want to do then screw them. Be self-critical, be open to constructive criticism, nibs it is right all the time and being open to ideas is the great tool a creative can learn. Remember that success is relative, you could be making low budget films and getting paid enough to eat and live and support yourself while a friend drives fancy sports cars but remember you are doing something you love, isn't that real success?”
FULL INTERVIEW WILL BE AVALIABLE FOR YOU TO READ SOON!
VF.
ALSO PLEASE HELP THE INSPIRATION GROW AND DONATE TO POSH DINOSAUR PRODUCTIONS; www.poshdinosaur.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inhumane: Welcome Back to The Female Werewolf!

Saving The Outsiders House: Danny O'Connor.

A Love Letter to Call Me By Your Name.