More Than Sharing, Just Art: Bertie Gilbert. ARTICLE/INTERVIEW.

Bertie Gilbert, a well-known and very entertaining YouTuber and 367, 668 subscribers will agree with me. Bertie started like most YouTubers by making videos talking about his life, opinions and the rest but now what we can expect from Bertie is more than being a YouTuber, now he is a filmmaker and has been uploading short films for everyone to watch! I, as a screenwriter & potential filmmaker, find Bertie’s projects very entertaining and even inspiring, so I was very happy when he agreed to do an interview with me and I got to ask him, why? How? And what more?

Why did you start making short films?

Well, many reasons. One of them being because film encapsulates almost every artistic medium. You've got storytelling, music, colours, performance pieces etc. Film is such a great way to combine the efforts of many to create something that shows all of those things to the viewer at once! My dream is to direct features and I don't think that's every going to change.

 Why YouTube?

I never really think about platforms. I try to focus on just whatever's being created. I release my films onto YouTube as well as vimeo simply because those are places in which people share stuff in the audio/visual realm. Of course, there are more people on YouTube, but Vimeo's got the integrity and does a good job at filtering out vapid stuff. While Wes Anderson projects his films onto cinema screens, I project mine onto Vimeo and YouTube (and sometimes cinema screens too!).

Do you have a special kind of process?

I guess when I come up with a film; it either starts with a basic concept or the odd visuals. For example; Stray Dog stemmed from the initial idea of 'time traveling back in time to get a girlfriend' while The 56 Year Old Boy started with images of a man surrounded by books. I guess it just sort of happens so in a way I don't have a specific process. The films I'm writing now have both stemmed from images in my mind. The odd random shot. When it comes to the process of creating the actual films, I'm sure mine's not too different to a lot of other filmmakers. I write the first draft, get some feedback, redraft and redraft until it's perfect and gather people to get shooting! My favourite stage is the final edit. No, actually, that final moment after you've just exported the final version. That's my favourite.

What are you inspirations?

I have too many to count. The most obvious directorial ones are of course people like Wes Anderson, Stanley Kubrick, Woody Allen, Michel Gondry and Spike Jonze. Those are the ones that I feel you can tell by watching my stuff that they've thoroughly inspired me. I feel those guys are real masters. I adore the way Wes Anderson creates the most incredibly fabricated worlds inhabited by the most natural characters mentally and emotionally. That's a technique I've tried to implement. As for Gondry, I adore the way he incorporates one specific theme in each film and almost builds upon that? That's another technique I've tried to implement. Of course there are many directors who aren't as obvious inspirations of mine. Scorsese is someone I'll always hold in my heart. A man not afraid of trying different things and still innovating even at his age. As for stuff that inspires me besides directors, I guess just about everything does. I love art. Always try to go to galleries and stuff when I can. I'm really into music (who isn't?). A lot of ideas stem from songs I listen to. The old hammer horror films inspire me too, mostly down to the vibrant colours they used. You can tell they went crazy with the new ability to incorporate colour. Great stuff.

What project are you most proud of and why?

At this point, the film I'm writing now. I'm not gonna reveal much but I'm ext
remely happy with what I've got so far. I guess that isn't much of an answer. The thing that's actually viewable that I'm most proud of is my first film 'Stray Dog'. Although I'm proud of the others, I feel Stray Dog has a pretty strong arc and a lot of consistency. It's the film I'd show first. I'm also very pleased with my film 'Diner' and the response it got was really inspiring. Also, the very short experimental film I'm releasing soon titled 'Many Moons' I'm very pleased with. I'm proud of all of my films.

What can we expect in the future from you?

Films. Just, films I guess. I'm gonna try to create a new short film at least every two months. To keep me productive and just simply because I love it so much! I'm working on two more 15 minute films and then the plan is to go longer. Half an hour and then eventually features! Going to enter a few film festivals too which is exciting. Also, will be showing my films in front of 500 people in Toronto in November. Basically, I guess you can just expect me to keep going at it.

Tips to other filmmakers or wanna be filmmakers?


This is a tough question. Obviously I don't want to go for the formulaic cliché answer of 'just go out and do it' but in all honesty, that really is all I can day. If you want to make films, we live in a day and age where technology allows pretty much anyone to do what they want. So just bloody well do it!

This interview, selfishly, is definitely one of my favorites  Bertie just proves here how inspiring his and the passion he has within film and that's something I love to talk about, advertise and respect. So go check out Bertie on YouTube and have a short film binge, trust me you will not regret it! Won't be long before you go to the cinema and BERTIE GILBERT will be in the credits.

Twitter: @bertieglbrt

VF.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inhumane: Welcome Back to The Female Werewolf!

Saving The Outsiders House: Danny O'Connor.

A Love Letter to Call Me By Your Name.